When it comes to choosing which product you will dropship, there is no definitive answer. It depends on your personal goals and what your specific niche is.
With that being said, there are a few things you need to keep in mind when choosing a product to dropship. There are many factors to consider, such as your time and expertise, your location, and your shipping costs.
If you’re new to the world of dropshipping, you may not yet know how to pick the right products for your niche and your personal goals. Or maybe you just need a refresher. Either way, keep reading for a comprehensive guide on how to choose a product for dropshipping.
What Is Dropshipping?
Simply put, dropshipping is the process of buying products in bulk, and then reselling them as a smaller quantity to customers through an e-commerce store.
It’s a great option for entrepreneurs who want to start an e-commerce business, but don’t have the time or expertise to manage an inventory and shipping process.
The benefits of dropshipping are that you can set up an online store with almost no investment, maintain the store and inventory yourself, and keep your overhead to a minimum. All of this is done remotely from your home.
What Types Of Products Are Good For dropshipping?
There are tons of options when it comes to products for dropshipping. Obviously, the type of product you’re going to sell depends on your niche, but there are some general guidelines you can use to narrow down your options.
- Durable products: Some durable goods, such as appliances and electronics, can often last for several years.
- Easy to ship: Shipping products can be tricky, but it’s one of the biggest overhead costs for eCommerce stores. Make sure your products don’t require special packaging or a lot of assembly. If a customer needs to assemble a product, they’ll likely be happy to do it.
- Reasonable price: You want to make as much profit as possible, but you don’t want to price yourself out of the market. You want to find that sweet spot where you’re making enough profit to cover your expenses without pricing yourself out of the market.
- Easy to find reviews: This can be helpful for potential customers, but make sure you’re not taking away from your own reviews.
Pick A Niche That’s Profitable
As you’re researching niches, one of the first things you’ll want to do is pick a niche that’s profitable. The first step in picking a profitable niche is to narrow down your options based on how profitable they are. There are two quick metrics you can use to quickly see how profitable a niche is.
- Average product price: The average product price is a quick metric that shows you how profitable a niche is by showing you how much the average product sells for. Looking at the average product price is a quick way to see if a niche is profitable.
- Products per page: This metric shows you the profitability by the number of products you’ll be selling in a given niche.
Know Your Competitor
Next, you’ll want to do a quick scan of your niche to see who your competitors are. Obviously, you don’t want to pick a niche with no competition because then you’d be sitting pretty, but you also don’t want to pick a niche with a ton of competition either.
The sweet spot is somewhere in between where there isn’t much competition and there’s so much that it’s hard to make any profit.
You can use tools like Product Ranking Factors to see how your competitors are ranking in Google. You may also want to check out competitors in your niche to see who they are and what their sales numbers are like.
Choose Products With Existing Reviews
Choosing products with existing reviews is one of the quickest ways to start making money with your dropshipping business.
Having reviews is crucial to building trust with customers, which is a huge part of selling online. It makes them feel more comfortable purchasing your products and spending more money on them.
By choosing products with existing reviews, you can give your customers peace of mind that they’re making a good purchase decision by choosing products with existing reviews. That peace of mind will help them build a relationship with you, which can often lead to more sales in the long run.
Determine Your Shipping Costs
Finally, you’ll want to determine your shipping costs. This is another area that can vary from business to business. Some products are heavy and require special equipment to ship, while others require standard shipping.
If you’re selling a product that requires special equipment, or you’re shipping internationally, you’ll want to factor these costs into your overall profit margin. If not, then you’re likely trying to make too little profit on each sale, which isn’t a good thing.
So how do you determine shipping costs?
- Calculate your average shipping cost: The best way to reduce shipping costs is to figure out how much you’re spending on shipping and then try to reduce it as much as possible.
Choosing which products to drop ship is a lot of work and requires a lot of research. It takes a lot of effort to find profitable products, create a sales funnel, create a product description, generate product images, and build an eCommerce store.